Welcome back Ladies and Gentlemen, it is an honour to spend a musical love month with you!
I asked you yesterday to find a song from the country you love the most. As I mentioned before I find it a little difficult because I am not a fan of patriotism. But each to their own 😉 . Surprisingly, neither Germany where I was born nor Great Britain where I live now fall in the category of “Country I love the most”. The Uk used to be the one until that fateful day in June 2016 when a tiny majority of British people decided that I account for a scrounger and problem in this country and that leaving the EU will solve all their problems.
Sorry for my bitter statement, if you voted for leave. I do respect your decision even though I do not understand it and believe you have been cheated. It’s just how I feel about this country and that part of the citizens who voted to leave.
So which country would qualify? Well, it is both Ireland and Sweden but as we have the “love song in a foreign language” tomorrow today will be Ireland. It captured my heart ever since I set foot in it for the first time in 1991 and I hope I can go back one day.
I have posted several songs by Irish musician Hozier over the last couple of years and the song I chose today is a newer one called “Nina Cried Power” which is a love song and dedication to great musicians like Nina Simone and Marvin Gay but also the movements of social change their music inspired and supported.
I find it is a very powerful song that has given me a lot of solace in the last few months when Brexit, Trumps Wall and the rise of the political right and populists all over the world has threatened my very sanity and hope for humankind. I have to admit until today I haven’t really researched the story behind the song nor read its lyrics. It’s the melody and lines like “It’s not the waking, it’s the rising…” that seemed to have given me a push into putting my money where my mouth is and to become more active.
And it looks like my reaction to this song and video without knowing much about it fits in perfectly with its intention as Shona.ie states:
…In case you haven’t see it yet, Hozier’s new single “Nina Cried Power” is a powerful celebration of some of the amazing people who are creating change in Ireland. These people, who all dedicate their time and energy to equality, civil rights, social equity and diversity, and the work they do will benefit all of us…”
I have always admired people who were able to create positive social change either with their writing or their actions and leadership. It is reading and learning about them that lead the way for me to not succumb to negativity and the pain inside. It is so easy to hurt others because you have been hurt and I have done my fair share of it. Sorry, to all whom I have caused pain!
But in the end, I have chosen love and life and positivity and if I can shine a small beacon of hope in someone’s life then I haven’t lived for nothing.
If you want to know more about the song have a look at Shone.ia “The Story behind Hozier’s “Nina Cried Power” Video” and Latinamericanpost’s “Nina Cried Power: Hozier is back!“. You can find the lyrics here and more about the artist here.
video credit and source: Hozier via YouTube
And on we go…
LOVE IS IN DA BLOG MUSIC PROMPT FOR FEBRUARY 24th
Are there really only four days left in February? I can’t stop being amazed at how time flies. Thanks for being with me on this musical journey this month. It is such a pleasure and honour to read your wonderful posts.
Tomorrow’s prompt is:
My favourite Love Song in a Foreign language
This sounds like fun!
And to remind ourselves how to take part:
“Love Is In Da Blog” Rules/suggestions
- Join in! No matter where, when and with what. You missed the first day or week? Don’t worry. Just jump in when it suits you.
- Send us the link! The ping-back option does not always work so please leave a link in the comments of the post on the day you take part.
- Tag your post either with “Love Is In Da Blog” or “LoIsInDaBl” or “Love Is In Da Blog 19” or #LoIsInDaBl19. You can also use these as hashtags for Twitter and other Social Networks to give your post more exposure.
- No matter which music the prompt favours you create with it whatever you please, and whatever length you please (no pun intended 😉 ) as long as it is about “LOVE.”
- I post the prompt post the day before which is connected with the music for that day so you have some time to make up your mind and create your post. There won’t be two different posts and I hope it’s not too confusing.
- If you like, use this picture for your readers to find the posts.
- Find the prompt list for the whole month here in this introduction post at the end
share A Favourite Love Song
in a foreign language
and have lots of fun